Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday

Here is the link to the Top Ten Tuesday information from The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's topic Ten Books For Readers Who Like Character Driven Novels. Before I start, I have to admit that the concept of a novel being either character or plot driven has always confused me. I'm not sure why, but it's something I've had difficulty grasping the difference between. So if you disagree that these are character driven, I apologize and you're probably right!


1. The Good Sister by Jamie Kain

This is the novel I've read most recently. The characters really ran the story here, as it is about three sisters grieving and moving on after one of them dies. I really enjoyed their different perspectives and how unique the characters - even the side characters - were.


2. Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson

I love Morgan Matson's writing. I really need to get around to my last unread book by her (and the Katie Finn books!), because the ones I've read already were perfect. Since You've Been Gone also had a wonderful protagonist and while at first she was just letting things happen to her, she ended up taking off and really choosing the direction she was headed. It was great to see her grow.


3. Ghosting by Edith Pattou

This is one I'm very uncertain about. Is it character driven? I'm not sure, but the characters decisions did really make the novel. And I highly recommend this one anyway, to everyone. (Actually, maybe not everyone. You won't like it if you dislike stories written in verse.)
4. Just One Day by Gayle Forman

I adore this book (and every other Gayle Forman book, really). This was hugely about Allyson growing up and finding herself, and that was an aspect of the novel that I really enjoyed. I also think this is a great thing to jump into if you want something character-driven, because I feel like those looking for just a love story will be let down (or possible pleasantly surprised). Sometimes it's nice to know what you're getting into so there are no false hopes!



The cutesy cover of this book fooled me. I went into it looking for a light, fun love story, and I was extremely let down in the end. However, I have always wanted to reread it since then.
If you're looking for something that really explores character, I think this is a great one to read. Just don't expect one of those light, summer reads - remember that the cover lies. I remember this being really well-written, and I read it well before I started blogging - which explains the three stars I gave it on Goodreads. If I reread, I'm nearly positive this rating would go way up.

I'm going to stop there for this week, mostly because I'm awful and didn't pre-schedule this post. Things might slow down on the blog this next week or so, but I'll try to keep up the best I can. At the very least, you can expect that I'll be writing as many blog posts as possible when I have time this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment