Monday, December 1, 2014

Book Review: Slated by Teri Terry

Quick Facts


My Rating: 4.5 stars

Series: Book 1 in the Slated Trilogy

Date Read: November 28, 2014

Source: Purchased ebook

Publication Date: May 3, 2012

Publisher: Orchard Books

Genres: Science fiction, young adult

Summary (taken from Goodreads): Kyla’s memory has been erased,
her personality wiped blank,
her memories lost for ever.

She’s been Slated.

The government claims she was a terrorist and that they are giving her a second chance - as long as she plays by their rules. But echoes of the past whisper in Kyla’s mind. Someone is lying to her, and nothing is as it seems. Who can she trust in her search for the truth?
Review
This book was just short of five stars for me, and I can't quite figure out why. Maybe if I weren't in such a reading slump, I would have ended up giving this a perfect rating. Or maybe I still would have thought it to be a little off. The beginning did take me awhile to get into, but due to that reading slump, most books seemed slow to me.

Anyway, I did enjoy this. It was a fantastic start to the series. The concept of criminals being "slated" is interesting and worked well. So many questions arose, and I like how they were answered, for the most part, but there was still some mystery left behind - I just can't be sure what is true and what is not.

The ending found a way to be satisfying while still leaving questions to be answered in future books, which is something many first books lack. It feels like it could stand on its own, yet leaves the reader wanting to keep going.

The action and fast pace made this book even better, especially towards the middle and onto the end of the novel. As I said, I was in a reading slump, and so the fast pace definitely helped me get through the book. At around four-hundred pages, it felt much shorter. I cannot wait until I can pick up the second book.

2 comments:

  1. You found this fast paced? I found it a little slow... It's interesting seeing the views of someone who loved it so much :) Here's my review, if you're interested: https://victoriajaynesbooks.wordpress.com/2014/09/13/slated-by-teri-terry/ We have very different responses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your review - we definitely have different opinions, but I see where you are coming from as well!

      Delete