Wednesday, September 3, 2014

What is New Adult?

This subject has been on my mind lately. Of course I know about the New Adult genre, but I have also noticed that so many books about new adults are not classified as "New Adult books."

An example I always think of is Fangirl. This is about a girl who goes to college and finds herself. When you simplify it that much, it honestly sounds like your typical New Adult. But it's classified as YA. A couple others that I've read and wondered about are the Just One Day books. The characters are college-aged, but they're "Young Adult books."

I realize that there's a real blurry line between these two genres, especially because they're newer than others - and especially because the term genre is used so loosely to describe them. I have also heard that YA supposedly includes characters up to twenty years of age - although personally, I haven't read about main characters past eighteen that I have considered to be part of a young adult novel.

There's also the fact that these are basically just what I call "age group genres," and they are definitely a big part in the marketing of a book. Also, the two authors whose books I mentioned had previously written young adult - so perhaps it was thought hat their books would do better in that market, where they were already known.

Still, I have heard so many readers complain that New Adult shows the same stories again and again. It's like there's a formula to writing it, and nothing that's too different counts. I'm thinking that more people would enjoy the New Adult genre if it were a bit broader and included all new adult characters, rather than the ones who fit a certain frame.

What do you think about the New Adult genre? Are you a fan? Do you wish it had more variety? What are your favorite New Adult books (whether they're technically classified as NA or not)?

5 comments:

  1. St. Martin's Press for you. lol It was needed for growing readers, but it's not for me right now, or at least the more current releases in it aren't for me.

    Basically what I think makes a book NA is when the more mature situations are presented in the book. It seems like more and more authors are turning to New Adult (18-25) as a way to grasp that weird age group. I've also noticed that it's becoming a genre that is very sex friendly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed that as well. It feels to me like if the story is the same and excludes sex, it's not NA anymore, which to me is silly.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right? lol

    It seems like it's just a way to sell erotic books for younger readers, not like the TwiMoms and Fifty Shades Moms group of people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel that way. I don't necessarily have a problem with the current NA books but do wish there was more variety... When you're naming it after a whole age group you would think more of their possible experiences would be shown!

      Delete