Monday, January 5, 2015

Short Story Reviews: The Fierce Reads Anthologies

Today is kind of a strange review day - I will be reviewing the short stories from both of the Fierce Reads Anthologies. Because of that, this post will be made up of a bunch of short, mostly one or two sentence, reviews.

Let me know if you guys like this or not - I may do some in the future, if it gets enough positive feedback. If not, I'll stick to my normal policy of not writing reviews for collections like these.



Lost Legacy - 5/5 stars I loved this one so much. It caught my attention from the beginning and I could not stop reading. I hope I enjoy the others just as much!

The Witch of Duva - 4.5/5 I wish the ending had been ... More, I guess. I just felt like something was missing, but I still really enjoyed it.

Prophet -3.5/5 This one wasn't bad, but I did not really feel attached to the characters. It felt a bit dull compared to the others. I'm not updating the page number accurately anymore, since my copy is way off from this one, and I want to keep rating each story. I'm just going to add 10 pages each story from now on.

Dress Your Marines in White - 4/5 The beginning was difficult for me to get into, but once I began to understand what was happening I enjoyed it.

Glitches - 4/5 I did enjoy this, but it wasn't the easiest to connect to the characters. I feel like there might have been too many for such a short story.


The Fierce Reads Anthology #2

Foundation - 5/5 Really, really loved this one.

The Department of Alterations - 3/5 Too many things were left unexplained for me to rate this higher. I enjoyed the concept but needed more clarity.

Men Who Wish To Drown - 4.5/5 Really enjoyed this one! I'm going to make it a point to read more books about mermaids this next year.

Heads Will Roll - 4.5/5 Loved the concept of this one, and the characters. I want more of their story!

Ruled - 3.5/5 Not my favorite, but I still enjoyed it a lot. I'd like to see more of these characters.

Jacks and Queens at the Green Mill - 4/5 Like for many of these, I want more of the characters. Of course, I did enjoy what I got to see of them, though!

** This collection also included a couple of stories from the other anthology at the end, but I didn't reread them, since I read these back to back!

Overall, I gave these both 4 stars. I really enjoyed the stories in each and it was a nice way to read work from some authors that I had been wanting to read for awhile. It also introduced me to authors I had not heard of before, that I now plan to check out more work from! These are both free as well, so I definitely recommend them.

No comments:

Post a Comment