Friday, January 2, 2015

Why I Love Writing

Writer's block happens to everyone. Personally, I have been blocked since I finished my NaNoWriMo novel in November. Throughout December, I barely wrote anything. During the new year, I plan to change this. I'm going to see how long I can go in 2015, writing every single day.

So for myself - and for you, if you're having a tough writer's block, or if this can help you another way - I just thought it would be a good thing to talk about why I love writing.

Today, I was looking back on all the work I did in 2014. By far, the month I wrote the most individual pieces in was October. As I read my way through all of those works - which were mainly poems, but partially short stories - I realized one of the best things about my writing: Even when I don't mean for it to, it reflects so much on my life.

In October, it was less subtle. I began writing poetry directly inspired by events I had gone through, instead of my previous fiction works (which also always held quite a bit of truth). So it was easy to see the changes in my emotions. I started out that month so angry, which is something I completely forgot about. Through the poems, I watched myself shift from that to sadness, sometimes to hopefulness, or back to anger -- and through the few poems I managed to write in November, I saw how much happier and more peaceful my work (and my life) had become. 

I just think it's great that those feelings were documented so well. Most of the poetry I wrote was awful, but it's stuff I will always look back on and enjoy reading just the same. At the end of the day, I think it's easy to forget why we write. 

I write for myself. I don't write in a diary, and I rarely write nonfiction, but writing has always helped me work through my thoughts, emotions, and problems. This is something I lost touch with for awhile, but it is the part of writing I love best. It's the reason I would not give away my ability to write for anything in the world - even if no one else ever reads a word. Even if I am never published. Even if my work is awful.

So that is what I'm going to try focusing on this year. Not writing well. Not writing something that could potentially be published. Just writing. For me.

4 comments:

  1. I love writing too! I used to be crazy about writing back in 5th grade. Sometimes I would write my stories during class, and my teacher doesn't notice because she assumes I'm jotting down notes haha :P I understand how you've been getting writer's block. I GET THAT A LOT :( Ever since school drama started, I've been going on and off with my writing because I was somehow too stressed to even writing to begin with. But I'll write again soon. I'm working on 2 stories now :>

    I have an advice for you: Don't just write for yourself. That's one thing I learned in writing class. Share your work at least to your family & friends, because what purpose do you bring if you just keep it to yourself? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing block is awful, isn't it? Especially when it comes mostly from just not having time to write.

      I actually disagree with that pretty strongly - if I'm not writing for myself, there's no reason for me to write. I would love to some day share my writing through publication and such, but it's not the reason I write. It doesn't influence what I write. And even if my work never got out there, if no one else ever read a word, it would still exist and be my own, and I think that's incredibly important all by itself.

      Delete
  2. This is a great post, Katie. I often forget why I love writing - not so much while I'm writing, but more while I'm editing. I've just spent the past week editing a book I've edited three times already, and I'm just so BORED of it.. but then I think about my new, shiny stories, and the enthusiasm returns. I like it for the same reason I like reading - because it provides an escape. Only this time, I create it myself. And writing is my creative outlet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I keep trying to go back and edit my NaNoWriMo novel, but it's just not happening. I'm not in an editing mindset right now, so I think I really need to get past that and start a new project, then come back to editing this one later.

      Good luck on your editing! It's definitely not my favorite part of writing, although it's also the thing I have the least experience with, which might be why. But it does make the story so much better, and think - the sooner you finish, the sooner you can give in and write the new stories :)

      Delete