Thursday, July 10, 2014

Book Review: The Assassin's Curse by Cassandra Rose Clarke



Rating: 3.5 stars

Date Read: July 1, 2014

Source: Purchased ebook

Publication Date: October 2, 2012

Publisher: Strange Chemistry

Genres: Young adult, fantasy

Summary (taken from Goodreads): Ananna of the Tanarau abandons ship when her parents try to marry her off to another pirate clan. But that only prompts the scorned clan to send an assassin after her. When Ananna faces him down one night, armed with magic she doesn't really know how to use, she accidentally activates a curse binding them together.

To break the spell, Ananna and the assassin must complete three impossible tasks--all while grappling with evil wizards, floating islands, haughty manticores, runaway nobility, strange magic...and the growing romantic tension between them.

Review: The writing style for this one took a lot of getting used to. I'm used to proper grammar and am picky about it, even in real life. It was appropriate, because Ananna was a pirate, but it was still difficult for me to read at times. I feel like it pulled me from the book a little.


It was also a bit difficult for me to connect to Ananna, or even Naji, although I did prefer his character to hers. Her voice felt detached to me and I believe I would have enjoyed the story more if it weren't in her point of view. The romance felt forced as well and I really didn't see it coming, but this might have been a lack of understanding and relating to Ananna's character.


I did enjoy the plot, though, and the characters were unique - even if I couldn't relate to them as much as I'd like to. I really want to know what happens next, and will probably read the sequel soon. I do wish the ending had wrapped up more, even if there is a sequel, but it wasn't too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment