Tuesday, July 15, 2014

DNF Book Review - Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews

12700353I don't mark many books as DNF (did not finish). Usually I either force my way through them or forget about them all together, deleting them from Goodreads like I never began reading in the first place.

The real reason for this is that I don't feel right rating books I haven't finished. But, I recently realized, that doesn't mean I can't review them.

I'm not sure how many of these there will be, but I felt my opinion for this one should go someplace - most reviewers seem to love this one, and I've heard over and over how great it is, so I figured it would be nice to share a different opinion.

Onto the review:

I just don't see what made everyone love this one. I didn't relate to Greg in the slightest - which in itself isn't a bad thing. I enjoy reading about characters I disagree with and even dislike. Getting different viewpoints and reading from new perspectives is what reading is about. The thing is, I just didn't like his voice.

I read on hoping I could connect to one of the other characters, but I didn't enjoy Earl either from what I read of him (although I didn't get far enough to see how he was in person). And Rachel annoyed me a lot, probably more than Greg.

Many people have found this book funny, but I don't relate to the sense of humor. I'm not offended by it or anything - I just don't find it hilarious. A couple of times I smiled, but nothing more.

The script format threw me off as well, even though I've read books written that way and loved them. The writing style as a whole was repetitive and too flawed for me (although I recognize that these flaws are due to Greg's inexperience and the fact that this is supposed to be a book written by him).

Overall, this one just wasn't for me. And so many things didn't work for me that I had to write them here, because I feel like they aren't really mentioned in reviews - or at least not the ones I've seen.

10 comments:

  1. I've always been interested in picking this one up. I still will, but I think this book will probably not live up to the hype.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try it if you're interested, because so many people seem to love it! I just wanted to put he opposite view out there as well :) Hopefully you enjoy it more than I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing when people don't like books. A little difference of opinion makes things more interesting. I like to see what side I will fall on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review. I have skated around this one for a long time. I'm thinking there's a reason why!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I was actually really excited for it, but it didn't meet my expectations at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good review! You made me realize that it is not-not done to review a book you haven't finished (I am in a bit of a reading slump because I am half way threw a really boring and uneventful book).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, and I'm glad! Took me awhile to realize as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry you didn't like this one, but I'm glad that you at least gave it a chance.

    I personally loved everything about this book. I thought it was hilariously refreshing. I was laughing on the first page and didn't stop laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many others loved it as well; I guess it just isn't for me. I'm glad you got more from it than I did!

    ReplyDelete
  10. […] I feel like I’ll either love this one or hate it. I read a great review and am looking forward to it, however the review made it sound similar to Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl, and I didn’t finish that book. I actually wrote a “DNF (did not finish) Review” of that one here. […]

    ReplyDelete